Berlin Wolfstrap printing!
December 19, 2010 § Leave a comment
This was a very successful weekend 😉
Over the week I found some time to assemble the hot end.
First I wanted to put it together using some special Epoxy which is supposed to withstand up to 300 °C (TURBOKITT, BOLDT & CO OHG). But the I realized, that Kapton did the job quite well. I also attached cables (1 m – which turned out to be just long enough).
Next I assembled a temporary cold end. I turned out, that again, the connection of the threaded rod (bolt this time) and the stepper is quite difficult. This time even more, as there is perpedicular stress on the axis. My first attempt was to use the tube again (which proved to be quite ok in the Z-axis). I turned out to be close to absolutely non functioning in real prints. I had some serious alignement issues, which I tried to solve using the brass thingy again. It was still not perfectly aligned, resulting in and extrusion for about 180° and a stutter stepper for the remaing 180° (which this way required 80% of the time). I aggressively decreased the fill in distance in repstrapper to 1 mm and increased shell count to 2. For the final 1,5 parts I had to push the filament through the extruder manually. This was mainly because the creases in the bold got filled with PLA, so there was not enough drag anymore. Besides the extruder, the Wolfstrap did a very convincing job. I was also happy that PLA sticked very good to Kapton tape and I was also able to remove the printed parts quite well (ok, I destroyed the tape in one spot…) But look, what I got:
Yes! It’s a Wade’s Geared Extruder. The print quality is still very bad. But it feels solid and I’m quite positive it will be a way better extruder, than my currently dying temporary extruder. I hope to have it assembled before X-Mas. Then I just have to figure out, how to mount this beast to my Berlin Wolfstrap.